Friday, August 22, 2014

Crack Negotiator

In my last post, I mentioned a small kitchen cabinet project. Those of you who know me well know that my projects can drag on a bit. Those of you not aware of this but reading this journal are certainly starting to suspect.

Our small kitchen has very humble 1973 cabinets. Some day, they will likely all be replaced. In the mean time, I have been trying to supplement storage space. Shortly after moving in, I got a combination microwave/range hood to get that piece of equipment off the counter.

To use the space between that and the refrigerator, I built a small cabinet that kinda sorta matched the color and wood grain. The door frame molding is a near-perfect match. Unless you really look, you don't notice it's not original.









Over where the pantry is, there was a lot of wasted space up top, so I knocked out the paneling, built a cupboard bottom, and we put stuff there.

It looked like this for almost a year. The plan was always to make doors like the other one, but this time I could not find the right frame molding anywhere. Months passed. Last March, I gave up and took another door in to a cabinet shop and told the nice fellow to make two new ones like this with these dimensions. He quoted $120.

Weeks passed. I kept stopping in but there was always a reason why he had not gotten to it yet. More weeks passed. One time I said, "Hey, how 'bout $150 to get it done?"
"OK, couple days." More weeks passed. Finally he called and said they were done.

Ta-da! Five months and $30 higher cost. If you've got a construction project or are about to buy a new car and want a crack negotiator to help, I'm here for you. I knew this MBA would come in handy!










Yesterday I finally put the last coat of paint on Kuewa's interior cabin side and the cabin trunk exterior now has 3 coats of primer. Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment